Monday, March 18, 2013

A Work in Progress

Remember the tshirt quilt I was excited about making? No? Well, that's because I mentioned it over a year ago! I worked on it that night and then the next day I kind of hit a wall. Danielle wanted to help me with it, so I didn't work on it by myself, but we never made the time to do it together. Eventually the project got bagged and moved around until I forgot about it. I found it again and decided we should get busy on it.

I suck at sewing. I really don't know what I'm doing (which is part of the reason I never made the time), but I can thread the machine and push the pedal, so I'm hoping that will be good enough. I do feel bad that that is about all the sewing knowledge I can pass on to Danielle. Maybe someday I can find someone to give her lessons. In the meantime, she and I are making memories giggling over our crooked stitches.



Actually, this is a really good project for someone who can't sew. I think the quilt will turn out nicely even if the stitches aren't straight. We made a few blocks tonight after dinner and are looking forward to working on more later this week. Tyler is looking forward to helping with his quilt when I finally get around to making it (maybe in another year?!).  The blocks are made from special, outgrown tshirts. Sandwiched between the tshirt layers are pieces from a flannel sheet set that belonged to my great aunt. Here is the little bit of progress we made today.


  • We painted star shirts for the 4th one year. We had fun making them and got a lot of compliments.
  • The green shirt is one of Danielle's soccer shirts.
  • The "having fun" shirt is from the amazing cruise we took in 2009. Best. Vacation. Ever.
  • The Cozumel shirt is from the first cruise we took. The boys were sick and Danielle and I went shopping together in Cozumel. She picked out the monkey shirt for herself and a dog one for Tyler. The mouths open.
  • The Cleveland Indians shirt is from the game she attended with Grandma and Grandpa when she stayed with them last summer.
  • The Disney shirt is from our trip to Disney in 2008. Mickey's and Goofy's backsides are on the back of the square.
This will be a very special quilt once it's done. The tshirts themselves are so full of memories, and the time we're sharing working on it together will be the icing on the cake.

No comments: