Sunday, March 03, 2013

Who Cooks For You, Who Cooks For You All?

That is what a barred owl's call sounds like. I have heard that sound the last 3 times I've been at the park, but I haven't had any luck finding them. Today I went to a new park and picked a trail. After walking for a couple minutes, I stopped at a spot that had woods to the left and a field to the right. After checking out the field, I turned to look in the woods, and this beautiful owl was sitting right there watching me. Once he realized I was watching him, too, he turned around and flew off. He parked himself in a tree somewhere out of my sight and gave his "Who cooks for you" call. I have been having some problems with my telephoto lens and have been getting very inconsistent photos. I was disappointed to see that all my pictures were soft. Here is the best one I got.
This time of year, barred owls blend in nicely with the mottled gray tree trunks or clumps of dead leaves still hanging on the trees. I knew he was still there somewhere, but I just couldn't find find him. As I was looking for the owl, I saw this little chipmunk flattened out on a tree. I know he was hoping I hadn't spotted him. He finally scurried down the tree into his hole and peeked out at me until I moved on.


I walked on for awhile and found another place to stop and look around. As I turned around, there sat the barred owl again, watching me! I got a few more pictures and followed him as far as I could before he flew away from the trail and into another part of the woods. I was disappointed with all my pictures today - no framers - but I'm thankful I got to see the "cook of the forest".



2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

They are still great shots.

Lori said...

Thank you. :)
Do you have soft focus problems with your 55-250? I can't decide if the problem is me, the general quality of the lens's optics, or if my lens is damaged (I dropped it once this past fall). I have my eye on another lens but scuba lessons got in the way. ;)