Monday, August 28, 2006

Just Another "Routine" Day

Sorry this is so long. We had a full day.

We started our day by dropping off Tyler’s disposable camera to be developed. We took it to a one hour processing place - but it really takes them at least an hour and a half. Personally, I think that “and a half” is pretty important and should be included on the signage, even if it means bigger signs. I was amused because Tyler didn’t understand how he was going to get his pictures - how they would actually be presented to him. All he has ever known is the instant gratification of digital pictures. Other than pictures from a studio, he always views our pictures on a computer. (When we finally did pick them up, he found the negatives especially interesting.)

After we dropped the pictures off, we stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few things. I really didn’t have much to get and was hoping I could stretch my trip out to cover the “one hour” I thought I would need for the photo processing. I was seriously doubtful I could stretch it out that extra “and a half”. I planned to utilize the play area at the grocery store so I could casually stroll through the aisles. Well, on the way into the store Danielle spied a pint size grocery cart sitting in the cart corral. It was exactly like the big grocery carts, only clearly made for little shoppers. And there was only one. After discovering that little jewel, no one would go in the play area. Doesn’t it sound cute? Two sweet little children taking turns pushing a miniature shopping cart after their mommy, occasionally placing an item or two in the basket. Think again. An argument broke out almost every time a turn was up. Whenever it was Tyler’s turn to push the cart, it suddenly became a racecar. He’d run (or power walk) down the aisle, slipping as he rounded the corners, vrooming the entire way. Danielle was much more “appropriate” with her use of the cart. She pushed it slowly and deliberately…right into my heels. “Sorry Mommy.” After the 3rd “sorry Mommy” someone had the nerve to comment about how cute they were. I smiled politely as I limped by. In my eagerness to get rid of the little shopping cart, I rushed too much and had at least 45 minutes before the pictures would be done. Since I had refrigerated items, we had to go home and make a trip back into town to pick up the pictures later.

Earlier today Tyler requested “cold cake” (Texas sheet cake for those of you on my mom’s side). We bought the missing ingredients at the store so we could make it this afternoon. Cooking with these guys is always such an adventure. We started out great. Nice and orderly. Tyler scooping flour. Danielle scooping sugar. Me getting the other ingredients together and boiling some stuff on the stove. Then it all fell apart. All at once Tyler overfilled his measuring cup by at least another cup, forming a huge flour mountain on the island, Danielle was unhappy because she couldn’t fill her cup w/enough sugar, and my stuff on the stove boiled over. When I attempted to help Danielle by pouring the sugar into her cup, I didn’t see the giant clump in the canister. The giant clump rolled out and broke apart on the island, scattering over the floor, Danielle’s chair, and Danielle. Before we could finish I had to stop and clean up the floor. By the time I was done w/that, the kids had lost interest and were attacking each other. We eventually finished making the cake and got it in the oven. As I was cleaning up the island a second time, the kids again started to attack each other. My threadbare patience couldn’t take anymore. Like a crazy lady, I rounded the corner with my hands in the air, yelling “I can’t take any more of this. Go downstairs. Now! Don’t come back up here because I’m going to go crazy!” I felt like an ogre. In case it matters, the cake turned out pretty good after all. We all enjoyed a piece before bed, and no one but me seemed to remember the insanity.

A few weeks ago my mother-in-law wrote about being encouraged at a restaurant when someone acknowledged how well-behaved the kids were being. When I first read that I thought wistfully about how nice it would be to hear that sometime. It really would be encouraging. Even if they had to stretch the truth just a little, it would be nice to hear that. We went out for dinner tonight after picking up Tyler’s pictures (to the right are some of my favorites). If anyone had attempted to encourage me by acknowledging my children’s behavior tonight, I would have fallen off my chair laughing. We went to Chipotle again tonight. (It’s a favorite because it’s not too expensive but it’s also not burgers & fries.) I just never learn my lesson. They were fine until we walked in the door. Tyler started banging on the walls, banging on his sister, poking me, etc. Danielle banged back, poked his head w/the straws, etc. It was ridiculous. I found a table, deposited our items, and took the kids to the restrooms to “straighten them out”. That worked for about 5 minutes. I got Tyler’s food all fixed up, Danielle’s all cut up, and got ready to dig into mine. Then Danielle had to go to the bathroom. NOW! We went, got back, ate for a few minutes. I got up to get more pop. As I was refilling my cup, Ron called. I spilled my pop in my attempt to hold the phone and refill my cup at the same time. I turned around from the pop station to see Tyler and Danielle, giggling, passing my burrito back and forth, each taking bites. Beyond them I saw an older couple watching them and laughing. I guess maybe it was a little funny. Our dinner continued this way until we left awhile later, our table looking as if a bag of rice had exploded beneath it.

Finally, tonight as we were winding down for the evening, I was looking at some pictures on my computer. I’m attempting to put together a picture slide show for Tyler’s birthday, so I’ve been looking through a lot of early pictures. The kids were really interested in looking at pictures from when they were babies. Danielle loves the pictures we have of Tyler “holding” her when she was tiny, so we looked at the pictures from the day she was born. They wondered why Danielle was “dirty” and why babies get food from their mommies through their belly buttons. Then Tyler asked the good question (well, one of the good questions): How does the baby get out? “How does the baby get out without cutting your legs off? Does it come out your mouth?” It was so funny, thinking about detaching my legs or spitting them out of my mouth instead, but I didn’t laugh (too much). I reminded him about parts that girls have that boys don’t have and told him that’s where the baby comes out. He thought about this for a second and then asked, “Well, where exactly is this ‘hole’?” Images of him looking for this “part” on his sister flashed through my head and clashed with the stories I’ve read that say you should answer your child’s questions simply and honestly. I did my best to be, well, vaguely specific. He thought for a second and then innocently asked, “Oh. Well, can I see it?” I'm afraid there just isn't enough $$ to cover those therapy bills.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I was thinking about this post after I read it and it made me think, Hmm, that's one "plus" of having a c-section!

Lori said...

That's a good point! Wish I would have thought of that. It wouldn't concern me so much if he was looking for the "hole" on his sister's stomach. ;)