Thursday, November 05, 2015

26 Days of Thanks

Here's another one I wasn't planning, but it's on my heart today.

A 7th grade student came to me towards the end of lunch today and told me he didn't have enough money to buy a lunch. This student was denied for free or reduced lunches earlier this year and I'd noticed he had been struggling lately to bring in enough money to buy his lunch. Today he told me that his dad simply didn't have the money to give him. He hadn't received a check for a couple weeks and the money just wasn't there. I asked him if he had food at home to pack a lunch and he said that they really didn't have very much food at home. I wish this was the only time I'd had a conversation like this with a child who is the same age as my children, but it's not.

Day 5

I'm thankful our kids always have enough to eat, money to buy "extras" in the school cafeteria, or food to pack in their lunches. The only meals they miss at home are the ones they sleep through. There is food in the pantry and in the refrigerator and being hungry only lasts from one meal to the next. They take it for granted, but I do not. I'm thankful for food on our table.



In case you're wondering, I patted the kid on the shoulder, gave him a free lunch, and told him I'd see what we could work out for the next several weeks. Thankfully my boss sees things the way I do. The first question she asked me was, "Do we need to be sending food home with him, too?"

No comments: