Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My Darling Daughter

I did something a little foolish today. After listening to Danielle beg, plead, and even cry a little, I gave in and let her play with her makeup. That wasn’t really the foolish part. I gave her one small thing of makeup from her princess makeup kit and then left her unattended to go take a shower. Leaving her unattended was the foolish part. I’ve made this mistake before, but the last time it involved a lot more makeup AND her brother. I didn’t think she could do much harm with such a small amount of makeup. I’m a fool.

After my shower I returned to find this:

As she was screaming “No! I’m not pretty enough yet!" I dumped her in the tub and started scrubbing. The makeup left a pink, blue, & purple grease ring around the tub! It also left a nice pink stain on her face. (Looking at that little stained mouth reminded me of a time when I got into my mom’s sample sized lipstick. I seem to remember having a stained mouth, too.) The stain lessened some as the day wore on, but there was still a hint of it there this evening.

Tonight we went to the zoo’s members’ only preview of their Christmas lights display. Once again we had a wonderful time. The kids are still young enough to be awed by the lights. We ate dinner there and then had free hot chocolate & cookies (and free glow necklaces). We enjoyed walking around in the chilly night air, gaping at all the twinkling lights while Ron and I each held tight to a little mittened hand. It was one of those evenings where the emotion of the evening catches up with you and, for a moment or two, everything seems just perfect. I have so much to be thankful for, and tonight I’m thankful for such a memorable evening spent with my 3 greatest blessings.

No comments: