Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Day 5, Cozumel & Day 6, at Sea

Friday morning Ron woke up with a fever, severe sore throat, headache, upset stomach...etc. He was so miserable, and there was no way he was going to be able to get out bed, let alone get off the ship. So, I decided to take the kids in to Cozumel by myself. I have to admit that my pulse did quicken a little at the thought of being responsible for 2 children by myself in a foreign country, but it was much better than the alternative of staying in our cabin all day.

We had researched a beach to take the kids to, but it was off the beaten path a little. Instead I packed our bags, grabbed the kids, and caught a taxi to one of the most popular beaches there, Paradise Beach. Do you remember the pictures of the desolate beach area from our time in Costa Maya? This was exactly the opposite. The beach was lined with chairs, umbrellas, tables, and people doing shots. We couldn't get a seat close to the water, so the kids spent most of the time playing in the sand. They were happy to do this, though. I adjusted the umbrella so they could play in the shade and relaxed on the lounge chair beside them. Overall we had a decent time. It would have been much more fun with Ron, though.

Here are some pictures from our day at the beach:


Danielle seemed to have a sunburn around her eyes all week


After a few hours we caught a taxi back to the port. After we checked on Ron (who claims he worried about us the whole time we were gone...well, when he was awake he worried) we ate, showered, & changed. Danielle and I went back in to Cozumel to go shopping. This was by far the highlight of my day. My daughter and I had such a nice time together! She was great company, and we both really enjoyed ourselves.

That evening the kids went to the Kids' Crew again and I ate dinner by myself. It was actually quite peaceful, so don't feel too sorry for me. :) I forgot just how dark it is out there in the middle of the ocean, away from the lights of cities. Every night I went out on our balcony I saw several shooting stars. It was very nice. It also reminded me of just how small I am and how big God is...way past 21 big.

Danielle picked out these shirts. The animal mouths open. She's holding the towel mouse our room steward left for her.

Saturday was, well, a bad day. We were in open waters with waves ranging from 12-18 FEET! It was so rough. Ron was still sick and the waves didn't help. Tyler & I were both sea sick. The only one unaffected was Danielle. We stayed in our room most of the day and watched movies and napped. Danielle entertained herself by watching the movies and making her dolls talk to each other. By late afternoon I had finally built up enough Dramamine in my system that I could walk. Danielle wanted to go to Kids' Crew for the last time, so I dropped her off. She went ALL BY HERSELF! Tyler didn't feel like going but Danielle wanted to go anyway! I was so proud of her! They had a pajama party for their last activity. She had fun.

Danielle & Jedi (They pick silly names for themselves.)

Tomorrow: Day 7, Ron sees the light of day & the Louisiana Bayou

No comments: