Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Borrowed Time

The kids and I enjoyed the unseasonable weather with a trip to the zoo today. It was nearly empty, and we really enjoyed ourselves. With December around the corner, I felt like we were on borrowed time, and we were grateful for it.



When we visited the lions, the male lion was watching his handler walk away and followed him to the front of the enclosure, right next to the walkway. I suppose it's possible he was eyeing the tufted deer across the way, but it did start with the handler. Anyway, we got a very nice up close look at him. Although we were alone most every place else, a couple others joined us in watching the lion. After a minute of staring off into space, the lion shook his head to snap out of his trance and got up to walk away. (Maybe it wasn't quite like that.) As he walked away, Danielle very loudly said, "I can see his pen!s!" The lady next to me practically doubled over, chortling just as loudly. Danielle was genuinely confused. "Why is that lady laughing, Mommy?" I half-heartedly tried to explain that decent people typically don't comment on pen!ses in public, but I think it was lost on my 3 year old blue eyed beauty.

No comments: