Friday, June 07, 2013

More Summer Fun

Today we went to lunch with my coworker who has cancer and then went back to her house so the kids could see all her animals. My coworker is feeling better overall but runs out of energy quickly. They discovered there is no cure for the type of cancer she has, so in addition to her body healing and adjusting, I think she is trying to adjust to that reality. It is a very slow growing cancer, so she can live with it for years, but it has to be overwhelming to realize you will have to deal with this for the rest of your life, however long that may be. Her daughter shows horses, so we got to see her beautiful horse. She has also a donkey, miniature horse, evil goat, ducks, chickens, rabbit, kittens, dogs...I'm sure I'm missing something.

After we were done there we went to the zoo to pick up the kids' current membership cards. While we were there the kids decided they wanted to see the new dinosaur exhibit. My kids have never been interested in dinosaurs, and the area was crowded, so this was probably our first and last time through the exhibit. It is really just a boat ride that has been revamped to draw more people. We had to do it once, though, and this was as good a day as any to do it. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon.




We finished off the day with another softball game. This one didn't go our way, but Danielle did a good job. It is so fun to watch her play. We had a very nice first week of summer break!
 
**********
Yesterday late afternoon I happened to see this little guy making his way across our backyard. I guess the big beast we saw earlier this week already had her babies. I snapped this through the screen before he disappeared back under the neighbor's shed.

No comments: