Monday, April 18, 2011

Birds & Bees




The bees were busy today!
















The birds were busy, too! This is nesting season, and I've seen lots of birds collecting supplies for their nests. We have 2 pairs of chickadees that visit regularly. Occasionally they'll check out Tyler's nesting box, even pop in for a second, but they always fly away. I think they were just house shopping. Today it looks like one of the pairs has decided to buy. I read that chickadees like to excavate their own cavities, so I filled the box up with wood chips (hamster bedding) when I hung it up. Today one of the birds was busy removing the chips. He would either spit them out right outside the hole or fly over to a branch and spit them out onto the ground. It was very interesting to watch. In one picture you can see his lady friend supervising his work. Hopefully they will stick around and lay some eggs. I would love to see some baby chickadees! (In case you're wondering, the wire and tacks are a homemade house sparrow deterrent...and it works wonderfully!)

1 comment:

Lori said...

I think they're cute, too! I'm a little discouraged today, though. I didn't see them in the box at all. Maybe they are just taking their time. After all his work yesterday, I was convinced they were moving in.