Tuesday, February 02, 2010

"We do not want you... to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope." 1 Thes 4:13

Today was my aunt's funeral. I enjoyed the service today because I learned a little more about her. One thing I found interesting is that apparently she could recite a Bible verse for each letter of the alphabet. The pastor had asked her about it recently and even at 98 she could still recite all 26 verses. I think that's impressive. I didn't know she played basketball or softball, either. Would they have played in skirts back then? I guess I never paid attention to the fact her middle name was Melvina. I'm so glad my mom didn't pass that one on! She retired the year I was born. That kind of put her age in perspective. The pastor also talked about things I did know. She was the oldest of 3 children and commited her life to caring for her parents. She never married but instead lived with her parents and cared for them as they aged. She was a strong, independent woman who managed to live at home, alone, until just a few months ago! She loved Jesus, and she loved her family, each one of us.



Of course, I have my own memories. When I was little, she babysat my brother and me while my parents worked. She liked to buy us slushies from the little store on the corner. I remember her big blue car with the fuzzy golden bear hanging in the window. The seats were so big in that car, we could probably fit our whole family on one bench. I remember her garden in the backyard. I remember how proud I was when we had our picture taken together for the church directory when I was a teen. More recently, I remember her reaction to seeing Tyler for the first time. I remember how happy it would make her when we would visit, even if only for an hour. The kids would complain about visiting her, the way kids do, but would always agree afterward that the happiness they brought her was worth every minute spent there. And I remember how much fun she had throwing the ball with (at) the kids. She was a suprisingly good aim. I remember her telling me she loved me when I told her goodbye 2 weeks ago.




There weren't a lot of tears today. That's not because she won't be missed or wasn't loved. I think it's because we all know she lived a good, full life and finally got her "saint's reward" (as my grandpa said). Knowing she has been restored and is dancing in Heaven makes it a little easier to say goodbye for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The slushies came in the collectible plastic baseball helmets. We walked to the Lawson's at the end of Johns St. She always had the news on the radio after lunch and they would give the farm report. She would walk around the mall in her new reeboks. Recently (and for the last few years) she would always remind me about when I wanted to help wash dishes & she wouldn't let me. I pointed my finger at her and said, "It's not you house Mary." She was something else.

Anonymous said...

Well said. She was something for sure and will be missed. No regreats, just happy memories.

Wandering Writer said...

You have all painted a beautiful memory picture.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

What a wonderful lady, it's so great that you have had such a loving relationship with her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to her, Lori. She was 50 when I was born, so we always joked about it being easy to remember each other's ages. She loved it when Mark and I would take her Klondikes and eat them on the porch with her. She loved us so much and was a really fun person - you said it perfectly. love, Joyce