Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Day Sledding!

School was closed for our kids again today but most all the other schools around us were open. I figured the sledding hills wouldn't be as busy today since most everyone else had school, so I took the kids sledding.


This was their first time on a "real" hill. I found out later that this hill was one of the rougher ones around - it was rather steep and very slick. That didn't slow Tyler down, though. He climbed to the top, put his sled down, got a running start, and flew down the hill before I knew what was happening. I was impressed. I went down with Danielle the first time and was pretty sure I was going to die. I don't know which scared her more, the steep bumpy hill or my screams. After that she decided to start about half way up and sled down from there (by herself). After awhile she worked her way up to the top, but on a slightly smoother side. I decided to stick to picture taking.


The pictures are a little misleading about how bumpy and steep the hill really was. I'm using a zoom lense, so it doesn't look like the kids are very far away. Plus, the white, compacted snow hides all the dips and bumps. (And you have to click on some of the pictures to really see the kids' expressions.) We had a great time. We ended up being out much longer than I expected, and the kids talked about it the rest of the day. It was a perfect way to spend a snow day!

~~~~~~~~~~
The videos are really poor quality but give you a good idea of the size of the hill. The one of Tyler was his second time down the hill. The one of Danielle was her last time down before leaving.







~~~~~~~~~~

The kids couldn't figure out how to climb up the hill at first. I chose to laugh and point rather than offer assistance. Ok, I did offer assistance... after I got a picture (and finished laughing and pointing)

He happened to turn and smile at me as he zoomed past.
























































































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun. They sure had a good time and beautiful smiles. It is nice you could share this with them. You're such a good mom. love, Aunt Joyce

Wandering Writer said...

Great action shots--more camera envy.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

How fun! And those are some BIG rabbits!

Lori said...

They are big rabbits! They are cool to look at up close, too. They have lots of different stuff "recycled" into them - toys, watches, little knickknacks.