Friday, April 24, 2009

Hooray for the Sunshine!!

Finally - our first 80 degree day this year. The temperature in my car said it was 84, but I don't know if that's accurate. It was super windy, but the sunshine made it more than tolerable. The wind made for a very nice breeze in the house, too. The only problem with all the fresh air is that my allergies are going crazy! Achoo!!

I think I just about killed our puppy today. Danielle and I were so excited about the good weather, that we decided to walk a trail at a nearby MetroPark. Although we've tried not to take Clara out too much since she still needs one final round of shots, we decided to take her with us. Well, we hadn't been on this specific trail before, and it ended up being a little longer than I expected. I think we probably only walked a mile in all, but that's a long way for little puppy legs who aren't accustomed to more than a walk down the street. Plus, this was the hottest day of her short little life. I think she had heat exhaustion. By the time we got home, she was still panting hard and was rather sluggish, so I gave her a drink and a bath in cool water. That calmed her breathing and perked her right up, but I was a little worried for awhile. So, I guess that's the last of her outings for awhile.

We did have fun on our walk, though. Danielle enjoyed throwing rocks in the pond and poking the algae with sticks. She spotted a little frog and attempted to catch him. That's a difficult task, though, when your mom won't let you get wet. Once Tyler got home, the kids spent time riding bikes, practicing baseball (Tyler), and decorating the playset-turned-clubhouse with chalk. We're looking forward to a weekend full of sunshine (and Ron's return)!




On another note, Tyler brought home the results of the Terra Nova testing he took last month. (It's a national test that consists of a series of standardized achievement tests. They take it every couple years, depending on grade level.) Compared to the national averages, his overall score was in the 99th percentile. I thought that was worth bragging about. Now if only we could raise his maturity level a little...

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Danielle's looking all too grown up and Tyler's just too smart for his own good. ;-)

Lori said...

I agree with you on both counts!