Saturday, April 25, 2009

Argh, Matey!

Ron made it home safely from his trip to the UK. Danielle managed to keep her new bike riding skills a secret until he got home. She is the best secret keeper I know. As they were going outside so she could demonstrate her new skills, a gust of wind blew through the house, causing the metal door from the house to the garage to slam shut on Tyler's fingers. Although he could move his fingers, and certain other nameless adults in our household thought I was doing the "mom" thing, I decided to take him to the Urgent Care a couple hours later because the swelling was still so bad.


He injured his middle finger and ring finger on his right hand. The xrays showed a chip fracture of his ring finger. When the doctor told us, the first thing Tyler said was, "Oh no! I'll never be able to wear a ring!" Then he got excited because he doesn't have to take gym and won't be able to write. He also thought one of the little girls he likes might feel a little sorry for him (but don't tell him I said that). He has to wear the splint for 7-10 days and then we'll follow up with an orthopedic doctor. The UC doc thought that if the xray showed an improvement and Tyler wasn't having any more pain, he may not have to wear the splint any more after that. Otherwise, he'll have to wear it for another 3-4 weeks. Although practice has already started, his baseball games don't start until the end of May, so I think either way he'll still be able to play.


His fingers don't hurt unless they're touched, which the splint prevents, so he's not really in any pain. He really enjoyed the attention tonight and is probably going to drive us nuts. He thought he was pretty funny when he pretended it was a hook and he was a pirate. Honestly, I feel kind of bad for his teacher. He's going to milk this for all it's worth!


Here is a picture of the hairdo Danielle picked out for today. I took this picture late in the day, but I thought this one turned out really well. I guess you can't see the sides very well, but the partial french braids looked really cute. She wanted to look especially nice for Daddy when he got home today. (BTW, our high was officially 87 deg today!)









Clara had an especially good time in the sandbox today. She dug a hole and then settled right in for a nap in the cool sand. I had to wake her up later to make her come in, otherwise she probably would have slept out there all afternoon. I thought she looked really cute.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe our middle fingers will match. They gave him a much more elaborate splint than mine. The girls gave me no sympathy either.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Looks like your wore that puppy out! Danielle's hair is very cute! I'd be interested in the link to the blog you mentioned. Annalise doesn't have much hair now, but I'm hopeful that will change :)

Wandering Writer said...

The "Mom thing?" Didn't he remember his own finger getting caught in the door. I would think he'd have had sympathy pains.