Thursday, October 16, 2008

Another Advantage of Having a Kid Who Can Read Well -

- He can read directions and make dinner!

Ron has been in the UK since Saturday afternoon. When he's gone, we usually have more kid friendly (easier) meals. Tonight we had pancakes and sausage. Tyler asked if he could help, so I handed him the box of sausages (yes, I took the lazy route and bought microwavable sausage) and asked him to make them. I let him read and follow the instructions all by himself. He did a really good job and was quite pleased with himself. I try to let the kids help me in the kitchen, but I've never had him read the instructions and try it alone. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! Hmmm...I bet he could read the instructions on the laundry detergent!


Now that Tyler's in school all the time, it seems like there just isn't much to blog about any more. We aren't able to get out and do as much. :( Here are a few pictures from earlier this week, though.


Danielle's last soccer game was this past Saturday. I think we will look for an all girls team if she plays again. Some of the boys were a little too aggressive in this age group, and Danielle wasn't too excited about getting kicked by one of them. She had fun and did a good job. This is her medal.


On Sunday we went to a lake & went fishing with Grandma & Grandpa C and Uncle Ron. The ride there was just beautiful - the leaves are so vibrant this year. We had a nice time enjoying nature until Danielle had a close encounter with a bee. She got stung on her finger and howled about it quite loudly. She lived, though, and was able to use her hands to feed the ducks after dinner at McDonalds.














The only catch of the day.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Your kids are getting so grown up! I know you are proud of them, but it has to be kind of overwhelming too! BTW, did you turn the labels away on purpose? :)

Lori said...

That's funny about the labels. Nope, not on purpose.

It is kind of overwhelming. A couple weeks ago Tyler started taking care of his showers alone - starting the water, getting his towel, even washing & rinsing his own hair. When he was done getting dressed, he proudly exclaimed, "Wow! I can do a lot of things by myself now. I'm really growing up!" He was so proud of himself, but I wanted to cry.