Monday, September 15, 2008

In the Dark

The remnants of hurricane Ike and a cold front moved through yesterday, causing unbelievable winds. We had hurricane force gusts and 40-50mph sustained winds most of the afternoon and early evening. It was pretty unbelievable. Our power went out yesterday afternoon betwee 3:30 & 4, and it still hasn't come back on. The frustrating thing is that the development right behind ours has power. Their warm, twinkling lights mocked us last night as Ron tried to find a radio station that carried the football game. I have a little laptop battery life left and have been able to connect to an unsecured wireless network (from someone behind us, I'm sure) to check the news. Both kids' schools were cancelled today, too.

I suppose I should conserve my remaining battery life. They are estimating that it may take as long as a week for some people to have power restored! I guess I better go clean out the fridge...

4 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Wow - you've had more hurricane than us this year! We haven't had more than tropical storm force winds and I think that was just the gusts from Fay.

Wandering Writer said...

Ours came back on around 9 p.m.

Lori said...

And I didn't have my hurricane kit packed. :)

It is 10pm here and we are still without power. On the bright side, my fridge has never been cleaner and the house smells good from all the candles.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Joyce says

Y'all can come over here. We didn't get any wind or rain at all. But 80 mph wind gusts are a normal thing in Wyoming. Sure hope you get power back on soon.