Tuesday, September 16, 2008

And There Was Light

Our power was restored this afternoon. We were just shy of being without power for 48 hours. The longest we've gone without power was for about 4 hours once last winter, so this was certainly a record for us. I know there were people much less fortunate than us, and I don't mean to make light of a very serious situation for some, but I'm a little disappointed our adventure is all over. It was kind of fun not to have any tv, to be huddled a little closer in the evenings, not to have to cook, and to have the kids home from school an extra day or two. We also had the opportunity to hang out with family a little more. I did miss the dishwasher, and the dog hair on my carpets was just begging to be vacuumed up, but over all it wasn't nearly as terrible an experience as it could have been. We were very blessed not to have any major damage from the storm and to have the resources to eat out a little extra if necessary. I do think it's a tad unfair, though, that the power came on before Ron got back from his trip. It would have been nice if he could have taken at least one lukewarm shower.

Here is a video I took during the wind storm. Watching it, it just doesn't seem to have really captured the force of the wind. I will be surprised if I ever experience something like this again.




We saw this tree down when we went out for dinner Sunday evening. When the kids and I went to Uncle Ron's house on Monday, it was still there.

We took advantage of another no school day and went to the zoo for a couple hours today. We had a nice time. (The kids thought the napping gorilla was hilarious.) Before our power came back on, we had already made plans to visit Grandma C for a hot (& free) meal and to do some laundry. We found out the power had been restored on our way to Grandma's, but we took advantage of the free meal anyway. (Thanks Mom.)













I guess it's time to get back to reality...and time for a trip to the grocery store to restock that fridge.

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Glad to know you are--like Aya said--back to life. Guess I missed the hair dryer more than the vaccuum cleaner but then I don't shed as much as the dogs--yet.