Monday, August 11, 2008

Sorry, Mom!

I finally admitted school is about to start and took Tyler shopping for school supplies tonight. We made an evening out of it and enjoyed dinner out, too. He is such good company and is so fun to carry on a conversation with when he’s not competing for attention with his sister. We had a good time, despite being very aware that school is only 2 weeks away.

While we were in the store picking up supplies, Tyler offered to push the cart. After pushing nicely for a minute, he pushed the cart a little faster, jumped on, & coasted for a few feet. Then he jumped off & attempted to pull the speeding cart to a halt. He was wearing sandals, though, so he didn’t really stop it. The cart kind of pulled him along a little as he slowed it down. He did this a couple times and then I asked him to stop. We proceeded down an aisle and I wandered ahead a little to find the item we were looking for. All of a sudden the shopping cart slammed full speed into my Achilles tendon. It was so painful I had to fight back the tears. I had a giant skid mark (& torn skin) about 3 inches up my heel. Tyler looked horrified and couldn’t say “I’m sorry” enough. I know he felt really bad. It was really hard to reassure him I wasn’t mad because it hurt so badly. It didn’t matter what words came out of my mouth, he could see the look of pain on my face. I finally regained some composure & commandeered the shopping cart. As we hobbled on down the aisle, I suddenly had a very clear vision of nailing my mom in the heels with a shopping cart, too. Multiple times. I couldn’t help but laugh. And then I squeezed my son. (Sorry, Mom.)

No comments: