Friday, August 22, 2008

Mom, The Bible is Amazing!

My aunt bought Tyler The Usborne Children’s Bible for Christmas. (Tyler has the big one. There is also a miniature edition.) I thought he’d reached the age where he needed a Bible with a little more “meat” than his toddler Bible offered. I researched some of them and thought this one looked like a good choice. Tyler rediscovered it the other day when we cleared some of the other books off the shelves by his bed, and that has been the book he’s been picking for me to read from before bed.

Last night after Tyler had been tucked into bed and was supposed to be sleeping, he suddenly popped out of his room and declared, “Mom, the Bible is amazing! I’ve been reading it and it’s just AMAZING!” How could I yell at him to get back in bed after an epiphany like that? I agreed with him and told him we could discuss what he read in the morning. (When was the last time I read something in the Bible that made me feel like jumping out of bed & exclaiming?!)

This morning I was putting dishes away in the kitchen when Tyler wandered in to talk to me. His face brightened and he said, “Now I know the rules!”
“What rules?” I asked.
“You know - Jesus’ rules! Last night I read about them.”
“Oh! You mean the 10 commandments?” ( I was impressed he made the connection between commandments and rules!)
“Yeah. The rules. That guy Moses went and got them when he was really old. Now I know Jesus’ rules.” He looked pleased with himself and ran off to play.

The Bible is amazing, and watching our son discover its treasures and learn about God’s love is pretty amazing, too.

No comments: