Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Football Practice & the Perseids

As requested, here are a few videos from Tyler's football practice tonight. (He's the tall kid in the khaki shorts & gray/green shirt.) This was his third practice. He enjoyed practice a lot the first two days, not so much tonight. He was tired tonight and didn't handle being thrown around as well. When he tries, he does very well. He's still trying to figure out the difference between offense & defense, when to block versus when to run, and why it's now ok to knock someone on the ground. Ron spent some time explaining some things to him after practice tonight, and I think that will help him out. (Ron pulled out the paper and pencil and demonstrated with the standard football "x"s and "o"s. Tyler started laughing and said, "Awww. You're writing hugs and kisses.") He collided with the ball carrier once tonight and got a mouth full of football that brought him to tears. Somehow that extremely loose tooth is still hanging in there, though. I guess the mouth guard works.










Tyler was tired tonight partly because he and I got up at 2am to watch the annual Perseid meteor shower last night. I learned my lesson after last year and got Danielle up, too. I held her outside for a minute until she saw a shooting star. After that she'd had enough and went back to bed. I tucked her back in and got Tyler up. He and I sat on the steps out back and watched for a few minutes. After seeing several, we decided to spread out a blanket, grab the sleeping bags, and get more comfortable. The air was a little chilly, so we snuggled together and watched the sky. We saw so many shooting stars that we lost count. There were bright ones and faint ones and some that left long trails across the sky. Somewhere in between the chirping of the crickets and the nonstop talk of my excited son, I was struck by just how lucky I am to have such special children and how blessed we are to share such special times together. We headed back to bed shortly after 3. It was one of those "memorable moments" that will stand out to me for a very long time.

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Those kids have a special mom. Don't know many that would get up at 2a.m. to watch shooting stars.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Caleb liked the butterfly movies, but when he saw the football videos, he said, "I [want to] do that!"