Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tyler's First Day of 1st Grade

Tyler started 1st grade today. He wasn't looking forward to going back to school until we went to a back-to-school ice cream social at our neighbor's and then packed all his new supplies in his backpack last night. By the time he went to bed, he was excited. Fortunately he was still excited this morning. Even better, he was still excited when he got home!

Based on his kindergarten teacher's recommendation and Tyler's relationship with a certain teacher, we requested he be placed with a specific teacher, if possible. He did get her for his teacher, so I think that helped him not be so nervous. Someone gave me a hard time for requesting a specific teacher rather than making Tyler learn to adjust to whomever he had. I felt bad for a minute, but then decided that I'd rather set Tyler up to be successful whenever I can. He will still have the opportunity to learn to deal with difficult or different personalities because he'll have new kids in his class and encounter other teachers during the course of the school day. So don't give me any grief about it... So far Tyler's class only has 16 kids in it!!! I am very excited about the small class size, but I'm doubtful it will stay that small.


Hugging his sister goodbye










Waiting for the bus
















When Tyler came home this afternoon, he talked nonstop for about 20 minutes. Then he passed out on the couch. He loved his teacher. He had a great time making clay necklaces in art class. His chicken patty for lunch was sooo good but the green beans were gross. He has a new girlfriend (no teasing, please) but he can't remember her name. They had a recess rodeo this afternoon. The girl next to him cried when her parents dropped her off this morning. Tevante wears glasses now. You're not allowed to wear crocs because someone had a "terrible accident" on the playground once. There are tennis balls on the bottom of the chairs. And, oh by the way, "I need tennis shoes for gym class. I have gym class tomorrow."

After school





This year the kids get to keep their things in their own desks. I asked him if he liked having his own desk. He said, "Yes, but I wish she [the teacher] would get all her things out of it! She has stuff everywhere in everyone's desk." I had to laugh. I said, "You mean books and stuff? Those are YOUR text books. You'll have to use those this year!" It was so funny.

Tonight we celebrated his first day with a dinner of his choosing (Chipotle) and a special cake. He thought his cake was really cool. Tonight (after I went shoe shopping) he told me how much he loved school today and how wonderful first grade is. I asked if there was something specific that made it so special, but he said it was all great. I hope that sentiment continues. We'll see how he feels by Friday.








1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Thanks so much for this post. I love feeling like I'm a little part of it by being able to read all that happened. You are always so good at describing their activities.