Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My I Spy Bags

I finally used my sewing machine for more than a doll pillow! I saw an ad awhile ago for an "I Spy Bag" and thought about making one. I didn't progress past the "thinking" stage, though, until I saw one at my neighbor's house the other day. After inspecting theirs, I decided to attempt it.


I found a couple sites online that had instructions and pointers, gathered my materials, gulped, and pulled out my sewing machine.


I can't sew straight, but I think these turned out pretty good anyway. The kids were thrilled with them. In addition to trying to find all 60 items in each bag, the kids made up games with them. One of the games involved catching & throwing them, and THE BAGS DIDN'T FALL APART! Hooray for me!

I still need to print out a little card showing all 60 items in each bag & attach it to the bag so the kids remember what they're looking for. In addition to inspiring impromptu games around the house, I thought these would be good for car trips, when they can't fall asleep, or when they just need to quiet down a bit. Hmmm...maybe Tyler should take one to school with him. ;)




7 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Those look great! I've never heard of an I Spy Bag (although I've seen the books) - what is the filling?

Lori said...

I think they're called Poly-Pellets. (I threw the bag away.)They came in a 2lb bag that was about $4.99. I used the entire bag for both bags, but I think I overfilled one of them. Some of the websites I read complained about the plastic pellets being toxic, but these specifically said they were non-toxic. They do make a mess when you spill them on the floor though! (The kids filled their own bags.) I have swept at least 3 times and am still kicking around stray pellets when I walk across the kitchen floor.

Wandering Writer said...

How neat! Good job!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

toxic...non-toxic...do you know, when I was a kid my dad would take the mercury from an old tv set and let me and my brother play with it. It was stunned when I found out it was poison after I grew up! It was so much fun to play with! too bad...

Lori said...

Ron talks about them playing w/mercury in science class. Personally, I didn't really care about the pellets being toxic or nontoxic because my kids are past the "everything goes in my mouth" stage, but I mentioned it since yours aren't (in case you decided to make one).

Mercy's Maid said...

I'm new to sewing, but I was thinking about trying to make some of these. They're just so neat! Were you able to sew them with a regular sewing machine, or do you have something fancy?

I just wondered if I would need something fancy to sew through the vinyl see-through part.

Lori said...

I have a very inexpensive bottom-of-the-line sewing machine from Sears. I read that you should attach a layer of tissue paper to the vinyl so it doesn't stick to the sewing machine, so I did. It worked perfectly and I had no trouble at all. The tissue paper ripped away neatly after I was finished sewing it to the fleece. Hope this helps. Good luck!