Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Feel Like a...

Tyler was being a bit mouthy about feeding the dogs this afternoon and said "I feel like a..." He trailed off at that point because he was probably going to say something like "idiot" or something involving "butt" but caught himself before the words actually came out of his mouth. (Hey! We're making progress!) After a second, he said, "I feel like a ape."

I don't know why, but that reminded me of the game "I went to the zoo and I saw..." where you say a different animal for each letter of the alphabet, and you try to remember all the animals that were mentioned previously. So, I responded, "I feel like an ape and a ... Tell me an animal that starts with the letter b. " I can't believe how that simple game captured his attention. Danielle came running in to play, too. At first the kids just thought it was funny that I was trying to remember all the animals, then I think they were impressed with themselves for being able to think of an animal for each letter. I was amazed at how quickly they thought of them (especially Tyler). The only ones that caused them to pause were U and X. The only one I helped them with was U! I thought that was pretty impressive. Some of the animals Tyler came up with (without missing a beat) were pretty impressive, too. And, Tyler finished feeding the dogs without even realizing he was doing it.

Here is our list (in case you're ever playing):

Ape
Bat
Cheetah
Dog
Elephant
Flamingo
Goat
Horse
Iguana
Jellyfish
Kangaroo
Lion
Monkey
Newt
Octopus
Parrot
Quail
Rabbit
Snake
Turtle
Unicorn
Vulture
Whale
Xray fish
Yak
Zebra

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Impressive list of animals!

Wandering Writer said...

I'll look for that xray fish when we're diving ;-)

Lori said...

I believe they are freshwater fish, so you'll be looking for awhile. :)