Monday, January 21, 2008

Making Crayons

This afternoon the kids and I made recycled crayons.

We sorted through all our crayons and picked out all the broken and non-Crayola crayons.
Tyler enjoyed peeling all the paper off. Danielle thought it was more fun to break the pieces into smaller pieces.

I have made crayons using muffin pans before, but I read about melting the crayons in the microwave and using candy molds instead. I thought that sounded like fun, so I took the kids to the store this morning to pick out their own candy molds. Danielle picked out some zoo animals. Tyler picked out dinosaurs. He thought these would work best because they came to a point at the end and would write better. It turns out that this isn't a very practical way for young kids to get involved. The measuring cup I melted the crayons in was so hot I could barely hold it with a pot holder. Other than the prep part, they didn't really get to do much to make the crayons in the molds. (This method was messier to clean up, too.)

They enjoyed pounding the pieces to fit in the mini-muffin cups, though.



They also enjoyed watching the crayon pieces melt.




Our recycled crayons were still a bit too soft to use yet tonight, but they turned out pretty good and we enjoyed making them together.

No comments: