Thursday, October 19, 2006

Smells Like Pizza


Sorry my posts have been few and far between lately. In addition to taking care of sick kids and doing mountains of laundry in an attempt to get ready for our cruise, I haven’t felt well either. Hopefully we’re all on the mend, though.

Earlier this week the kids went trick-or-treating at Uncle Ron’s house. Here’s a sneak peek for Halloween:

After going to Uncle Ron’s, the kids changed and we met Daddy for dinner. It just happened that the boys sat on one side of the table, and the girls sat on the other. The kids were, well, lively. Danielle was in trouble constantly. During one reprimand from Ron, Danielle leaned her curly blond head up against me, pointed her little finger at Ron, and interrupted him: “Boys are icky. You are a boy. You are icky. We don’t like icky boys.” Ron couldn’t finish his reprimand for fear of bursting into laughter. Now if only she’ll hold to that belief until she’s 18!

Danielle’s ballet and gymnastics classes went really well this week. They got to use the bar in ballet this time. Danielle is learning things in both classes, but I just have to say she’s so CUTE to watch in ballet!! All of the little girls are. They’re out there with their twirly leotard skirts and ballet shoes, watching themselves in the wall of mirrors, trying to maintain their balance while following their teacher. This was only her second class, but Danielle showed so much more confidence this time. Her teacher seems to enjoy her, too. It’s such a good experience. (I couldn’t find the camera this time, so sadly there aren’t any pictures.)

While I was folding yet another pile of laundry today, Tyler excitedly bounded up the steps from the playroom, just bursting with a “brilliant” idea. “Mom, I have a great idea! You should get a box that both of us can sit in, cut a hole in it for this [a bucket] so I can turn it, and I can play taxi!” I had been interrupted a gazillion times and had just sat back down in front of the clothes. Ugg. I looked at his eager face and knew if I said no this time it would be a fatal blow. Wearily I got up. We searched for a box together and found one that would barely fit both of them. I started working on the hole for the steering wheel while the two of them bounced up and down beside me. When I finally pushed the bucket through the hole, Tyler leaned back and said, “Now that’s a thing of beauty!” That was all the thanks I needed.

This will probably be my last post until the end of the month. Hopefully by that time I’ll have lots of nice pictures and good stories to share. (Please pray for our safety, sunny skies, and smooth sailing!) Until that time, here’s my last little musing to share:

Tyler and Ron were wrestling tonight in that way that only daddies and little boys can. There was a lot of giggling and rough housing. There was also some gas being passed. It was all Tyler – at least it was all blamed on Tyler. (His squinty eyes and giggle did support his ownership.) After another such incident of passing gas, Tyler stopped, sniffed the air, and said, “Ahhh! It smells like pizza.” Since we have not had pizza for quite some time, he was obviously making it up to make Daddy laugh. Is it instinctive that a little boy just knows a fart joke will make his grown father laugh?

No comments: