Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Best Buddies at the Zoo

When I was growing up, my brother and I fought like normal kids. When we were young, we would roll around on the floor and attack each other. No matter who started it or who did what to whom, I was always the one to get in trouble. (I imagine his version is slightly different.) But no matter how much we fought, I also remember we were always friends. This was especially true whenever we went to visit a “weird” relative. (None of my relatives that read this fall into this category - at least back then you didn’t ;) - so don’t be offended.) We could have been fighting right up to the second we pulled into the driveway, but as soon as Mom or Dad hopped out of the car to get us out, we’d turn to each other and quietly ask “Friends?” We had a truce until the moment the car pulled back out of the drive.

As we got older, my little brother became more than just a buddy at Aunt Opal’s house (just an off the wall example I’m throwing out here) ;) Being the oldest, I always felt protective of him...and still do, although it’s harder to throw bullies off the porch now. I’d like to think that as his big sister he looked up to me a bit, too. As brother and sister we shared a prospective of our family life that no one else could share. We hung out together at church, school, and home. By the time we were in high school, he was more than just my brother, he was also one of my best friends.

Obviously that relationship was important to me, and I’d like to see my children form that same kind of friendship. Ron thinks I’m living in a fantasy world. When one of the kids is especially kind to the other, Ron thinks I’m reading too much into it in order to fulfill my “best buddies” fantasy. I disagree though. I know Tyler and Danielle are young, and they do go at it pretty good sometimes, but I think they really do have a special bond already. That special bond is what will keep them close until they really understand the concept of being friends in addition to siblings. Tyler is already protective of his little sister, and she has looked up to him since the moment she could hold her head up (well, close to that time anyway).

Today was one of those “best buddies” days. It was very enjoyable. We went to the zoo to take advantage of the beautiful weather. After we were done looking at the animals and riding the rides, the kids wanted to play in the large play area. In the play area Tyler always plays in the “big kid” area, while Danielle sticks to the “4 and under” side. She’s always been too afraid to climb up in the other section. After playing on their respective sides for awhile, Danielle decided she wanted to play on the big kids’ side, too. I stressed to her that I could not go up and rescue her if she got stuck or afraid. Tyler came running down around that time, so I explained to him that Danielle wanted to go up but I couldn’t help her. He excitedly offered to help her climb up. The two of them ran off, hand in hand, toward the tunnel with the steps.

I watched from down below as he helped her through the tunnel. I listened as he coached her through the “wiggly parts”. I saw him put his arms around her middle and boost her up to the next level as they climbed higher. He held her hand and patted her on the shoulder. He stayed by her side. And when they got to a part that was just too wiggly for her to cross, he comforted her and found another way for her to cross. He even got her to go down the giant caterpillar slide! (That's a huge smile on her face, in case you can't tell.)

After a couple trips down the slide, the two of them plopped down next to me on the bench. Their little faces were red and their hair was all sweaty. “That was a lot of fun.” “Yea, Ty! Ty helped me go up.” “Yea. I really liked playing with Danielle. That was fun.” “Yea, Ty!” They rested for a minute and continued to enjoy each other’s company. (These pictures were not posed!)



Once they caught their breath, we started toward the exit. The two of them held hands and giggled together as we walked. “There’s the Reptile Building, Danielle.” “Yea, Ty.” “Daddy doesn’t like snakes.” “No.” “That’s why we have a rubber snake at home, so we can scare Daddy.” Giggles: “Yea, Ty! I don’t like spiders, though.” And so it continued as we headed to the car. At this point I was just an outside observer. They were sharing a moment together that I wasn’t a direct part of. They were best buddies, at least for a little while. And that’s a pretty good start.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was thinking about the siblings being friends idea and it was one of my greatest hopes for my daughters too. Now that I am an adult I call what my sisters and I do "moral support", this has been for many different things like calling hours for an "ex's" family, doctor appointments, pain over men and lately the big, huge experience of losing Daddy. I would also say that sometimes my sisters have been my biggest rivals. Guess that part may have been experienced by your children already with much more to come!