Friday, October 06, 2006

I'm Glad I was Wrong

When we got to school today, Tyler looked through the window before walking in and noticed his teacher was back. He walked through the door and shouted out, "Mrs. M**! I'm glad you're feeling better!" She looked genuinely touched and thanked him. She jokingly said "I bet you were praying for me, weren't you." I'm not sure why she said it, but Tyler and I were happy to tell her we had indeed been praying for her. Again she looked genuinely touched and thanked him. I thought of my mother-in-law's blog from a couple weeks ago where someone told her he had been praying for her. Just knowing that someone else was lifting her up in prayer encouraged and uplifted her. I had the impression we had done the same thing for Tyler's teacher. (Tyler also got his encouragement for the day. As I left I heard his friend yell "Tyler! Hug!")

Once we got home after school today, I noticed a small "medallion" hanging around Tyler's neck once he removed his jacket. I asked him what it was but he only said, "Jesus". I looked at it a little closer and noticed it said "Justified by Grace". I asked "What do you mean 'Jesus'?" "Jesus died on a cross for us." Whoa! Curious to see what he'd say, I asked "Why did He do that?" Without missing a beat he replied, "Because He loves us so much." I was certainly satisfied with that answer! Later tonight I caught Danielle in a lie (over nothing of any importance). Tyler said, "Danielle, God hates lying! It makes Him very sad when we lie." Wow.

I can't believe how much Tyler has absorbed after being at this school for only a month now. Of course the academic learning is important, but Tyler is a smart kid and we aren't sending him to preschool just for that reason. I'm so thankful he's hearing Bible stories and God's Good News every day he's there! I guess first impressions aren't always right. I'm very thankful this is the school God directed us to.

No comments: