Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Confused Karate Kid

As I mentioned last night, Tyler started a Tae-kwon-do class tonight. He was SO excited and talked non-stop on the way there. I immediately felt let down, though, when I met the instructor. He didn’t look me in the eye, and shaking his hand was like grabbing a limp fish. (I don’t know about you, but I instantly form a negative opinion of someone that has a limp handshake!) Not exactly the kind of person I envisioned earning the respect of my son as he taught him the techniques and art of Tae-kwon-do.

Poor Tyler. The instructor hardly spoke to him. Instead, he put Tyler in a spot on the mat and started with class. This was supposed to be the first class for this session, but obviously all the other kids had taken classes before. The instructor told them to get in their resting stance. Everyone moved except Tyler, who just looked around at everyone else. Then he told them to get in their fighting stance. Same thing happened. Then he told them to practice jabbing (or some type of punching move). Again, Tyler looked around, obviously lost. I expected Tyler would be able to join a class at the beginning of the session and be instructed from the very basic moves & stances. I was so disappointed. The instructor did help Tyler a couple times with his punches, but it wasn’t enough. Tyler made eye contact with me once and just looked so helpless. His eyes said, “What do I do??” I felt bad for him. Tyler is usually so confident and sure of himself. I just about jumped through the viewing window when the instructor told the kids to pair up and practice attacking and defending! Tyler was the attacker first. My voice must have been ringing in his ears because he just stood there and looked at the kid. I was so thankful he didn’t lunge across the mat at him! I was also thankful Tyler didn’t have to defend himself first! The instructor finally helped Tyler a little, but again, it was not enough.

Tyler and Danielle attended a Tae-kwon-do class with their cousins a couple weeks ago. That instructor’s presence demanded respect. He kept the class in control. When he gave a command, the kids responded with “Yes sir!” He gently but firmly insisted the kids focus on him (rather than twirling around in circles or making noises). Before starting and ending classes they repeated a mantra about respect and Tae-kwon-do. They bowed to each other and the mat constantly. THAT was what we were looking for.

Since first impressions aren’t always correct, I talked to some of the other parents while Tyler was struggling to keep up. Unfortunately, they expressed the same concerns without me really asking. (Yet this is at least the second set of classes they’ve paid for!) I was so bummed.

I can’t get the same answer from Tyler twice about the class. He liked the class and everything about it, but later he didn’t like it at all. Before bed he liked it again. One thing did remain constant, though: “Mom, I really need one of those costumes!”

After talking it over with Ron tonight, we’ve decided not to send Tyler back to this class. It seems pointless to pay for a class that isn’t accomplishing anything valuable. We’re going to check on other Tae-kwon-do classes elsewhere. If we can’t find anything suitable, this place has a gymnastics class just for boys we might check out. That might be a good way for Tyler to burn some of his winter energy… assuming the instructor has a firm handshake!

1 comment:

Ron Looker said...

You were about to attack and the instructer defend it sounds like.