Tuesday, May 07, 2013

This & That

We now have 4 eggs in the window nesting box, but the daddy house sparrow did not like me peeking in at them, so he stuffed more grass in to fill the small hole I was looking through. Now I can't see anything. And if I can't see anything, I really don't think there's any reason to let them have their babies in my nesting box! Danielle doesn't like it when I talk about scrambling their eggs, though, so I will just grin and bear it until they've fledged. I will have to take the nesting box down, thoroughly clean it, and put it some place else, though. House sparrows are very territorial and once they've claimed a nesting box, it is very difficult to redirect them. Have I mentioned how much I hate house sparrows?!

Here are a few sparrows I do not hate.
Song sparrow

Field sparrow

Chipping sparrow


Ron finished his chairs and the matching footstools. We are going to get a fire pit and will use the footstools as benches for the kids when we want to all sit around the fire pit. The chairs are beautiful. Ron did such a nice job on them. They are really comfortable, too.



The elementary school carnival was this weekend. Tyler played the cake walk with his first two tickets and won a cake. He was excited! Danielle played later and also won. She picked out a tray of cookies and has been very stingy with sharing them! Unfortunately Tyler's cake looked better than it tasted. It is nice having older kids. After we walked around with them for a few minutes, Ron and I sat in the lunchroom and chatted with friends while the kids ran around and had fun for awhile. It was fun. Tonight was Danielle's Language Arts Fair. Danielle had lots of nice work on display. I made her pose for a picture beside her "yard" of spring project.

No comments: