Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ugly Shorts

I can’t believe how opinionated and stubborn (and fashion-conscious) a three year old little girl can be. Well, probably not just any three year old little girl. I can’t believe how stubborn our three year old little girl can be!

A couple days ago I went shopping for some summer clothes for Danielle. Sears had a good deal on their shorts and tops (buy one, get one for 99 cents), so I picked out a cute little pink top and coordinating pink and yellow plaid shorts. I thought it was very cute. Danielle did not.

When I pulled out the top & shorts for her to wear today, she went crazy! “Those are ugly! They’re ugly! I’m not wearing that!” As soon as I managed to get her shorts on, she ripped them back off, still screaming “Ugly! No! They’re ugly!” She finally calmed down long enough to tell me she thought the shorts were ugly because they have squares on them. The shirt was acceptable. In the midst of her anguish I suddenly felt the urge to squeeze her. There I sat, looking at the tear streaked face of my nearly naked three year old, insisting her clothing was simply too ugly to be worn in public. So opinionated. So stubborn. So passionate. So...Danielle.

She let me give her a good squeeze and wipe her tears. We decided to return the shorts and keep the top. (So much for the good deal.) She finished getting dressed and we got on with our day...without the ugly shorts.

No comments: