Saturday, June 06, 2015

Chipmunk Update

Ron and I counted 7 chipmunks running around the patio the other morning. There are at least 6 babies and an adult. They are so cute, but I can almost see our patio sag a little more everyday. I got some cute video of them popping out of their hole, but I need to edit it before I post it. (It's too long.) They were very curious about the gopro.

 
 

We ordered a live trap from Amazon. It came on Thursday.

We put it out but didn't catch anything the first time. Some of the bait (apples in peanut butter) was gone but they weren't heavy enough to trigger the lid to close. Ron made some adjustments and we put it out again this afternoon. So far there haven't been any takers. They are most active in the morning, so we'll see if we have any visitors in the morning. I think they will wise up as their numbers decrease, and that 7th chipmunk may be pretty tough to trap. Clara did manage to nip one yesterday. He was able to scurry into his hole, so I don't know if he was mortally wounded. After that they were pretty quiet the rest of the day.

They are cute and I will be a little sad to see them go. Until then, I figured I might as well take advantage of the photo opportunities. If I sit quietly on the patio, they eventually come out.


 
 

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

They are so cute! Would you believe? I had never seen a chipmunk before our trip!