Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Teen

Tyler finally had his 13 year old well check visit today. We're behind because our pediatrician always seemed to time her maternity leaves with his well check visits, and we always waited for her to return. 3 babies over the course of several years throws you off quite a bit.

He's past the point of me discussing these visits like I did when he was little, but I wanted to mention today's. If you look at Tyler, you know he's growing up. He grew 5" this past year!! He is now 1/2" shorter than me. His pediatrician says he's on track to be at least 6' tall, which I think is a very nice height for a man.

Puberty has hit, and so far, it suits him well. Other than when he was 2 and just discovering the world around him, this is my favorite age with him so far. He is getting taller, thinning out, shaving, and dealing with the intermittent squeaky voice. I absolutely love his personality and his sense of humor. The way he relates to me is subtlety changing, too. I knew it would change, but I didn't really think about what that would look like as it happened. I'm not sure how to put it into words. It's like he's suddenly more thoughtful and protective of me. For example, at school every morning he hurries to move the heavy milk crates so I don't have to do it. When I got home from the grocery store the other day, I opened the door and heard heavy footsteps stomping up the stairs to greet me. He voluntarily carried all the groceries in for me, then went back to what he was doing. Ron and Danielle didn't even know I was home. It's those little things he does to take care of me that show he is growing up in more ways than one.

No comments: