Friday, August 22, 2014

TGIF

We made it to Friday. The first few days of school always make for some ugly evenings, and these were no exception.

I think Danielle had a pretty good week. When she has had a little more sleep, it will be easier to talk to her about it. Yikes!

Tyler has decided he hates school once again. We had a bit of a reprieve last year, and I was hopeful it would continue but it appears it was not to be. He likes his first 3 periods. That gets him to about 10am. That leaves 4 1/2 hours of misery (less 30 minutes for lunch).
He amuses himself.
I enjoyed my week. I have been filling in for my boss for the past year and a few months while she's been battling cancer. This year they finally made it as official as they could and gave me a one year contract for the position. That means I will actually get paid for my full hours on snow days, sick days, and personal days, and it included a raise. It also means I am officially responsible for managing the kitchen & the kitchen staff. There were some things I wanted to improve and have worked to start those new routines this week.

I have enjoyed getting to see Tyler during the school day. He is in the lunchroom for his independent study work in the morning and again at lunch. It's not like I'm hugging on him or he's hanging out with me in the kitchen, but there's something special about seeing someone who knows and loves you in the middle of your work day.  Hopefully some little part of him feels the same way about seeing me.

Mostly this week I really enjoyed getting to welcome back familiar faces and smile at the nervous ones. My personal prayer this school year is that God will help me be mindful that there is so much more to my job than collecting money & making food. There are so many hurting, lonely kids that just need to be loved. Only 3 days into the school year, and I've already been given opportunities to do that.

1 comment:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

It is so inspiring how you see your job as a calling. What a blessing to you and to them!