Tuesday, August 19, 2014

So Long Summer

School starts tomorrow. Both kids will go to new schools this year. Both kids will have new schedules, classmates, and teachers. Both kids are probably still wide awake worrying about what tomorrow will bring.

I remember how they feel. These verses came to my mind tonight:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Do not be afraid—I am with you!
    I am your God—let nothing terrify you!
I will make you strong and help you;
    I will protect you and save you.  Isaiah 41:10

We had a nice summer together. It was a little different because Tyler is definitely a teenager, despite not officially earning the title for a little over a month yet. He did not want to hang out with mom as much as he has in years past. We still did things together and had a nice summer. It was just different.

Tyler will be in my building this year, and I am really looking forward to getting to see him every day. He acts as though it will be horrible to have to see me, but I think it is just an act. We were given permission today for him to drop a generic "tech" class and continue with his homeschool programming course. It helped that I'm a school employee and offered to "supervise" him during that period. He is pretty excited. My coworker offered to make him warm cookies during that timeframe, so that is certainly a bonus.

Danielle is nervous about starting middle school. Of all things, I think she is worried about accidentally breaking a rule and getting in trouble. This from my Mary Poppins daughter. ("Practically perfect in every way", according to every teacher at every conference.) She is an overthinker, though, and there's nothing I can do about it other than talk through her concerns and help her work through every possible scenario. ;) This is also what makes her so compassionate for others, and I wouldn't change that for anything.


I had to go back today. I left myself a note at the end of last year. :) Yep, I'm a geek but it did make me smile.

 

No comments: