Sunday, September 23, 2012

Happy Birthday to Tyler!

Yesterday was Tyler's 11th birthday. I made camouflage cupcakes for him to share with his class. I couldn't get the icing to cooperate, so I improvised and ended up with these. Tyler was very happy with how they turned out, so that was good enough for me. He said they were a big hit, too. Ron had the day off, so he picked Tyler up from school early and took him to a movie. I can't remember the last time the boys had a day out together, and they had a really good afternoon.



























Tyler picked to have his birthday dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It's always yummy. Do you think they sanitize that hat between birthday guests?!









We returned home for cake and presents, and then rented a movie until bedtime. Tyler decided the morning of his birthday that he wanted a bakery cake, so we had to go with what was available at the grocery store. He liked the relighting candles, but, note to cake decorators: putting ribbons on a cake - that will eventually have fire on it - is not the best idea! We survived, though.

Later in the evening Tyler thanked me for everything I did to make his birthday special. I thought that was pretty thoughtful and just one more sign that he's growing up. I miss the simple days when he was little and all mine, but I am so impressed with the person he is becoming. Slowly but surely he is maturing, and he is so stinking smart. Like every mom, I worry about what his future holds, but I'm also kind of excited to see the great things he will do. There's so much potential behind those beautiful brown eyes.

No comments: