Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tennis & Tomatoes

Danielle is attending a 3 day tennis camp this week. It's only 2 hours a day, but she has had a lot of fun. The girls' tennis team from the high school has been helping with it. It's been a good introduction to the sport. I probably should have thought things through a little more before letting her go, though - tennis is a rather pricey sport! She likes it so much she's asked for her own racket and tennis lessons for her birthday.







I forgot to post this picture of Tyler earlier. He still hasn't mastered the "diving" part of the diving board.










Tonight we had our first home-grown tomato of the season. Usually we don't have any until closer to August. It was wonderful!! (The sweet corn is in early this year, too.) My plants have blossom end rot, so I've had to pick several green tomatoes that are rotting on the bottom. I'm hoping that if I pick the rotten ones it won't strain the plant as much and maybe I won't lose so many. BER is caused by a lack of calcium in the soil, so I dug a little trench around the roots and piled in a bottle of crushed TUMS. I haven't had to remove any more tomatoes for a few days, so hopefully my plants are recovering. I also planted a cherry tomato plant this year. I must have 50 tomatoes on that plant, but they aren't turning red. They will probably ripen all at once. Danielle will be so happy with her cherry tomato feast.

No comments: