Sunday, January 22, 2012

Our New Neighbor

Despite having 2 noisy children, a large dog, and a rather persistent neighborhood hawk, a gray squirrel has decided to take up residence in a tree in our backyard. Well, he was building his nest today. Whether or not he'll actually stay and use it remains to be seen, I guess.



I've never seen a squirrel build a nest (officially called a drey). It was kind of interesting, but it made me worry about my tree! He yanked huge chunks of bark off the trunk and branches! You can see a huge chunk of bark above his head in one of the last pictures. (The bark has a little ball of snow above it.) In the next picture, that's the piece he's carrying off! I read that squirrels sometimes build nests in the winter for shelter. They also mate and have a liter toward the end of winter and make a nest for that. Danielle is hoping for baby squirrels, but I think (hope) it's too early.



This is an early picture of his nest; it got bigger! The pictures didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but you can see what he's doing. And yes, the sky was pretty much that colorless today.





No comments: