Friday, May 28, 2010

Strawberries!

It's strawberry season. Don't sneeze or you'll miss it. Typically the kids and I make a morning of strawberry picking and finish off our picking by enjoying strawberry slushies on the rocking chairs. Since Tyler still has another week of school, I was concerned the prime picking would be over. So, Danielle and I went out yesterday morning and picked a couple bucket's full. Once Tyler is out of school, the three of us will go out and do it right.



The berries are good size this year. It didn't take long to fill up our buckets. In fact, Danielle and I broke last year's record in no time at all. We ended up with 8lbs of strawberries! I froze some for later and saved some out for snacking. I'm pretty sure Tyler ate 3lbs just by himself. I had planned to make a strawberry cake using frozen berries for Memorial Day, but now I can use fresh berries!














We also made strawberry muffins (Kind of bland.)













strawberry smoothies (Very good!)













and chocolate covered strawberries (Mmmmm) . And yes, that's a skull and crossbones. I take requests. :)

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

yummy! I think the Florida season is already over, fortunately we are hitting Florida blueberry season now :) I love summer fruit!

Wandering Writer said...

Yikes! I was afraid I would miss the season with our trip. Hope there will be some left when we get back. If you have any you don't know what to do with, Ill be happy to take them off your hands.