Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Anyone Else Feel Like It's Been a Long Winter?

With Tyler in kindergarten and Danielle in preschool part of the time, you would think this winter would be easier than winters past. For some reason it seems to be dragging on F O R E V E R though. I think we're all eager to open the windows, air out the house, slide on the slide, and run around barefoot in the green grass. Danielle frequently asks when she can go outside without her coat on. (Feel free to brag about Miami's weather, Leah.)

We woke up to snow today. It was beautiful and very fluffy, but it wasn't slippery enough to use the sleds or the right consistency to make a snowman. And it was SO cold. We played outside for just a few minutes, but I think I expended more energy just dressing and undressing the kids than they expended playing outside. This seems to be a constant theme for us this winter. I feel like I'm on a constant mission to find activities to enjoy with the kids this winter. Here's what I came up with today:

1. Eat snow




2. Pay $3 for 450 straws and experiment





















































3. Create a homemade Bingo game



















4. Watch the lunar eclipse from the bathroom window
I told the kids about the lunar eclipse today and explained to them how it happens. They really wanted to see it, so I agreed to wake them up to peek at it. I woke them up one at a time to see the moon before it was fully eclipsed. (I think part of the fun is watching the shadow move across the moon.) They were both so sleepy, though, that I'm not sure either of them will even remember it.

Also, Danielle resumed ballet/gymnastics class today. I did not intend for her to be off this long. She was so excited to go back and really enjoyed class. Tyler registered for tball tonight, too. Practices will probably start at the end of next month. I guess maybe spring really is on the horizon. It's just taking awhile to get here.

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Spring never comes soon enough up north. Probably comes too soon down south. There is that heat and humidity thing to complain about there.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I think monotonous weather is annoying no matter what sort it is. I like not having to deal with bitter cold, but sometimes all the heat can make you crazy! It feels like summer never ends, there are no hayrides or pumpkin patches or bonfires, no crisp mornings or snow flurries. Still, being able to wear sandals in February...it's pretty nice ;)