Thursday, September 27, 2007

syl·la·ble

One of Tyler's recent homework assignments was to clap the syllables of the months and people's names. Since then, he has been clapping the syllables to everything (including "butt"). He does a good job. Danielle, in an attempt to keep up, says the word and claps away. Sometimes she ends up with 15 syllables. The longest words - that are real words and understandable to Tyler - that I have come up with are "kindergartener" (which could technically count as either a 4 or 5 syllable word, depending on how you pronounce it, both ways being acceptable) and "hippopotamus". If you can think of any other 5+ syllable words that he would know, please leave me a comment. I did google "5 syllable words" but only found one that he might know: Snuffleupagus.

Tyler got his school pictures back the other day. I was surprised at how nice they turned out. Even the "Chandler" smile isn't as bad as I'd feared. Doesn't he look grown up?!! I volunteered to help tie-dye t-shirts in his class tomorrow. Should be fun. Danielle has her first field trip next week, and I'm going on that, too. I know they won't want me around all the time, but I'm enjoying being a part of these things now.

3 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

My minds getting more muddled as the weeks go by, but a word I was fascinated with when I as about Tyler's age was Mediterranean - my dad got into some sort of bet with a friend that I could or couldn't spell it, so he taught me (he did get me to understand it was a sea, but I was pretty clueless otherwise!) Unfortunately, I could spell it just because I memorized it, not because I was a good speller...hey unfortunately has 5 syllables!

Wandering Writer said...

Can't think of more than 4 syllables right now--Mississippi. A fun word to spell. Where's Tyler? That kid in the picture looks entirely too old and serious. Nice smile.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I thought of some other words he'll probably be familiar with:

accidentally
elementary
cafeteria

My brother always likes the word:
antidisestablishmentarianism
when he has to come up with something ridiculously long.
Hmm, well ridiculously has 5 syllables too!