Thursday, September 13, 2007

Our Walk Through the Woods

After Danielle's morning in preschool (more about that later), the kids and I went to our favorite metropark for a walk through the woods. We haven't been there since our flower workshop in May, so it was a nice treat. Tyler thought it would be fun to collect treasures on our walk like we've done in the past, so the kids came equipped with their buckets.



They started collecting their treasures as soon as they popped out of the car. We enjoyed our walk. We didn't see any deer, only squirrels and a chipmunk. The squirrels were fun to watch. They were hopping across the tree tops, knocking nuts off the trees. By the end of our walk the kids each had a bucket full of "treasures": acorns of varying sizes - with and without "hats", various colored leaves, sticks, seed pods, walnuts & nut shells, and rocks (picked up when I wasn't watching).



After our walk they played on the playground for a few minutes. They thought this picture was funny because they have polka-dots on them.





Once we got home, we needed an outside place to look at our treasures without losing them in the grass, so Tyler suggested the playset. We scurried up to the top level and spent the next 30 minutes or so examining their finds. We had a nice time.
















Danielle seems to be enjoying preschool. Already I've overheard her singing some new songs, and the other day I heard her in the playroom shouting "IT IS GOOD!" (part of their Bible verse for the week). Out of the four days she's attended, though, she's been shoved twice by the same little boy. Historically, I have been on the apologizing and correcting side of this type of behavior, so I'm not real sure what to do. Being the protective big brother that he is, Tyler thought maybe he should go in and take care of things for her. Fortunately she doesn't seem to be bothered by it too much yet, but I certainly don't want her to go through this all year.



Danielle offered to help me fold laundry this afternoon. It took a lot of floor space and a little acrobatics, but she did a pretty good job.




















Tyler has his third day of kindergarten tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised that he hopped off the bus just as excited on day #2 as he was on day #1! Tonight he got out of bed to tell us about the sporks they have in the lunchroom. Friday is pizza day, so I can tell what's on his mind tonight!

4 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Okay, I'll bite. What are "sporks" in the lunch room?

Lori said...

You know, a spork - one utensil that fuctions as both a fork and a spoon(concave bowl like a spoon, prongs like a fork).

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I'm impressed at Danielle's folding! I detested that chore as a kid, though I find it strangly relaxing now...

Lori said...

I enjoy folding the kids' clothing. For some reason folding Ron's unmentionables does nothing for me, though. :)