Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Happy Birthday to Daddy!

Today was Ron's birthday. The kids and I have some traditions we've established for Ron's birthday: we make the cake together, we decorate the house, and we shop for gifts at the Dollar Store. Today was no different.

We headed out to the Dollar Store, where Tyler announced to the man behind the counter, "Today's my daddy's birthday! We're buying him presents." To which the man behind the counter said, "Well good. Tell him happy birthday from me." And Tyler responded: "I see you have a dog back there." And the man behind the counter added: "Yep. Tell your daddy the dog says happy birthday too." I believe we had the exact same conversation last year. Ahhh...traditions.

The kids picked out their gifts. I must admit they were rather selfish this year. I kept stressing they should try to think about what Daddy would like, but as you can see from what they picked out, my point was ignored. Danielle also picked out pink wrapping paper that said "Happy birthday princess" all over it. She could not be persuaded to get anything else. It was funny (because it wasn't my birthday). Fortunately the store was having a 20% off sale, so that pretty pink wrapping paper and all the other goodies were only 80 cents each!














Once we got home we made the cupcakes and then wrapped presents while they baked. Other than cutting the paper, the kids wrapped their presents all by themselves. Tyler is really getting the hang of it.





















After wrapping the presents we decorated the house. The kids did everything. I just secured the streamers in place for them.
















Finally we iced the cupcakes. This is the first time I've let the kids put the frosting on. Danielle did very well. Tyler was a little stingy. Fortunately they both allowed me to touch their cupcakes up a bit when they were done.

When Ron got home, the kids met him at the door with party blowers. They allowed him to briefly admire the decorations and then rushed him to the table so he could open "his" presents. They were so excited. Ron did a wonderful job feigning excitement.
That's Ron's tradition for his birthday - feigning excitement over birthday gifts. Ahhh...traditions.













No comments: