Saturday, May 06, 2006

I see London, I see France, I see... China?

In order to share today's story, I need to backtrack a couple months.

A couple months ago Danielle danced into the room and declared, "I have a penis!" We laughed it off, but she was quite serious. When I attempted to tell her otherwise, she got very angry, stuck her little face in mine, and said "I DO TOO HAVE A PENIS!" She was quite adamant about it. (Along with owning a penis came the belief that she could also stand to pee.) After several little chats, we finally got her to agree that girls have vaginas. She also agreed that she is a girl. So...putting the two together...she reluctantly agreed that since she is a girl, she has a "vaginis". Maybe combining "penis" and "vagina" helps her reconcile this? I don't know, but it's hilarious to hear her say it. Anyway, we attempted to keep these biology lessons quiet around Tyler. Not because he wouldn't understand, but because he WOULD understand. (It was really more of an attempt on my part to prevent public embarrassment. He has enough ammunition for that all ready.)

Fast forward to today.

Tyler was dressed and sitting on my lap. I was attempting to get Danielle dressed so we could go to the park. Danielle was standing in front of me, trying to hold her balance while I helped her put on her underwear. Suddenly Tyler chuckled and loudly declared, "Danielle, I can see your china!" (Now, for the record, he could NOT see her "china" or her "vaginis" or anything else closely related to either of those places.) Ron and I couldn't help but laugh. Knowing he said something funny, Tyler yelled "china" a couple more times before running out of the room giggling.

Thinking ahead, I hope the grocery clerk will be impressed when Tyler, thinking he's very amusing, announces that his little sister has [a] china.

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Once when I shared the preschool room duty with a friend during church service, her daughter, who had just learned the word "penis," kept hiding in the toy closet, sticking her head out and yelling her new word much to her mother's dismay. You're right. Keep the ammunition to a minimum. Good blog!