Thursday, May 07, 2015

Waking Up

My backyard is slowly waking up from its winter sleep. We seemed to have skipped spring and jumped right into summer with our 85 degree days. I'm not complaining!

The birds are migrating back. For the first time since fall, I've had brown headed cowbirds, chipping sparrows, and pine siskins in my backyard. My favorite backyard birds, ruby throated hummingbirds, also returned this week.


The chipmunk has been hopping ninja style through the grass and along the fence and trees to make her way to the bird feeders. I wish she wasn't so destructive. I love watching her.


Clara found this little baby in our yard tonight and pointed it out to us. She looked at it and wagged her tail until we noticed. It's awfully cute with its little stubby tail, but it's a baby house sparrow and they grow up to be obnoxious adult house sparrows. We left him in the grass for his momma to find. When I went back out tonight, he was gone.
I've seen a few butterflies this week but haven't been able to photograph any of them yet. I'm also looking forward to planting some flowers and tomato plants soon. Our last day of school is 3 weeks from tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

We have a crazy squirrel that has been shocked to find the nuts he buried in our deck planter are gone (emptied the soil last fall). After knocking over the containers he went out into the flower bed and proceeded to lay on his back like a dog and wiggle. Don't know if he's got fleas or this is a strange mating ritual :-)