Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Awards Day

It was a double whammy today - both kids had awards assemblies. Hooray.

Thankfully Tyler only had one awards assembly all year. He got an award today for his grades, but he was not happy about it. He missed getting straight As this year by a couple Bs, and he was embarrassed that his "underachievement" was announced to the entire school and all the parents in attendance. He was seriously very cranky about it and I had to give him ice cream, a pep talk, and some time to chill before he would allow me to take a picture of him with his certificate. And the smile was forced. He was also disappointed because one award was given out to a band member for each grade and he did not get it. I feel like he deserved it, and I understand his disappointment with that one. That's one of the problems with awards ceremonies. I feel the same way when I leave Danielle's - like she's better qualified for some of the awards than the kids who received them. And I hate feeling like that because that's not why the kids get good grades or are kind to others or are good citizens.  (I hate these things.)

Danielle got an award for all As, outstanding conduct, and perfect attendance for this 9 weeks. She was also recognized for a couple other things. This is the first time either child has EVER received a perfect attendance award in all their combined years of school! I think this is an especially stupid award that encourages kids to come to school sick and doesn't allow for activities or outings that are sometimes more important than what's going on in the classroom on any given day. We make fun of this award at home and I quietly laughed and pointed at her when she got called up for it. (Did I mention I hate these things?)

I may hate the awards assemblies, but the bottom line is that we're proud of Tyler and Danielle for a myriad of reasons, even without the public recognition or pieces of paper. I am not one to miss an opportunity to celebrate, however.


Only 2 more days of school!

No comments: