Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Good News, Bad News

First the bad news. Well, it's not bad, just disappointing. Although Danielle did a stellar job practicing and auditioning for the school play, she did not get a speaking part. I think the really disappointing part was receiving a letter indicating she got a part in the play, receiving a script, and then opening the letter to see that she had a non-speaking part. I suppose that's better than getting the "you did NOT make it" letter, but not by much. (Danielle said the capitalized NOT added insult to injury for those who didn't make it.) She really was amazing when she practiced, so I am really surprised she didn't get a part. The teacher who is directing the play told me that 77 kids auditioned for 24 parts! That's a lot of competition. She said she stretched the parts to 39 so she could include kids like Danielle who really deserved to be there. That was a little consolation to Danielle, who is really, really disappointed. Ron thought maybe it would help to whack some softballs, so he took her to the batting cages after dinner. Hopefully she will come back feeling a little more settled. It sucks that things didn't turn out the way we hoped or thought they should, but I couldn't be prouder of her for all the effort she put into doing her very best.

Now for some good news. Ron entered a beautiful pen contest on one of his pen turners forums. A panel of judges picked the top ten pens from all the entries and then posted those 10 for the community to vote on. His pen was picked for the top 10! Voting will last until 3/5. Although there is a small prize, I think the bigger honor is to have your peers think your work stands out. It has to be very validating. I know I am always impressed with the beautiful artwork Ron creates from a chunk of acrylic or block of wood. I'm glad he can get a little recognition for it! I will try to add a couple pictures of his pen later tonight.

1 comment:

Wandering Writer said...

Sorry for Danielle but that's my boy!