Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life Skills

I know this is silly, but I've always wanted to learn how to make balloon animals. I finally got a book out of the library and decided to learn. The kids LOVED the idea and wanted to learn, too. So, today the kids and I learned a new life skill: how to make balloon animals. :)


I didn't have much time to look around, so I just grabbed a couple of overpriced but cheaply constructed balloon kits from the grocery store. They each included 22 balloons and a cheap plastic pump. The balloons were so cheap that several of them popped before they were ever fully inflated. They were very difficult to tie, too! We had a lot of fun with the ones we did manage to successfully inflate and tie.


Here is my first dog. Obviously I need to work on proportions! I did get better. I made several dogs and advanced to a bunny and a mouse.









Here are the kids' first attempts. Tyler's dog's tail was too long, so he added a couple extra twists just for fun. Danielle wanted to make a dachsund. It looked just like the picture in the book.

Danielle went on to make several more dogs of varying sizes, a giraffe, and a mouse. Tyler made some dogs, a giraffe, a mouse, and a sword.












I can't believe what a good time we had learning how to make these! It would have been even better if the balloons hadn't popped so easily. I am going to order some better quality balloons online so we can learn to make more things.

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

new family business?? :)

Lori said...

:) I did remind Tyler that there is a restaurant we go to occasionally that has a college aged kid who walks from table to table and makes balloon animals for tips. Might be more fun than flipping burgers to earn a little college $!