Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Double Digits

"AAAHHHH, I'm 10!!! " Happy birthday to Tyler!


I've tried really hard not to dwell on his age today. The time just goes so fast. In another 10 years he will be in his 2nd year of college! :(

I was rather lame in the birthday cake department this year. Danielle didn't get anything special, and neither did Tyler. After shooting down all of Tyler's cake requests, he finally said he'd just like a green cake with green icing. (His favorite color is green.) I felt guilty about making it so blah, so I made it tie-dyed, too. It looked neat. (The tie-dyed cupcakes were a big hit! Well worth the extra effort.)

Tyler is at an odd age as far as gifts go. Occasionally he'll get out some of his cars and make them crash, but usually he prefers to design things on the computer or ride his bike. Even his enthusiasm for Legos has waned a bit lately. He didn't have much of a wish list for his birthday either. I doubt he'll play with it often, but one of his gifts from us was a set of Hot Wheels wall tracks he asked for. I thought he'd be able to design the track layout and that would keep him interested, but it doesn't really work like that. Even so, he enjoyed setting it all up tonight and connecting it with some of his existing tracks.

Watching him race the cars down the track and into a bucket took me back about 8 or 9 years.

Tyler was really excited about becoming a "tween" this year, and I think he had a good day. Well, as good a birthday as you can have when you have to spend the majority of the day at school. We have a couple more birthday celebrations yet this week, including a trip to ride go-karts and play laser tag with his best friend this Saturday.



No comments: