Sunday, July 24, 2011

Milkweed Visitors

I've had lots of milkweed visitors lately...


Different varieties of flies










WAAAAAAY too many aphids (I just can't keep up with them. Was hoping that alien shaped bug on the left is a lady bug larvae, but I don't think it's the right shape/color.)









Bees and wasps







































Even a young hummingbird












But still no monarchs!

We had eggs around this time last year, but didn't have any until early August the year before. Hopefully they're still coming. (And hopefully the aphids won't suck my milkweed dry before they get here!!)

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

The black circle bugs are definitely not ladybugs - too bad, they are always welcome! Their pupa is more oval shaped.

Lori said...

The black circle bugs are just more aphids, I think. I'm wondering what the bug with the long pointy tail is, though. (In the picture with all the aphids.) Ladybug larva are more alligator shaped. I thought maybe it was a milkweed bug, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's NOT a monarch caterpillar!