Friday, January 28, 2011

Our Peaceful Dinner Out II

I had the best time with my kids tonight! I took them out to pick out birthday gifts for Ron and then out to dinner. The kids begged me to take them to Chipotle and to EAT IN! Usually when we eat out, especially when it's just the 3 of us, we'll pick something up to take home. It's cheaper that way, but it's also much easier. I gave in and agreed we could eat in at Chipotle for supper.

I can't say with certainty it was the last time, but one of the last times I was at this specific Chipotle with just the kids, we had less than a peaceful dinner. That was 4 1/2 years ago, but I remember it so well! So, I told the kids all about it while we ate tonight.

It's hard to believe such a frustrating evening then made us laugh so hard now. The kids loved hearing about it and the three of us had the best time giggling about their antics. We really had a special time reliving it. As I retold the evening's events, I couldn't help but think about how much they've grown up in 4 1/2 years. Hopefully I've grown up some, too. I was probably much more impatient that night than I should have been. I have such neat kids with such fun personalities. I hope they know how amazing they are and how much I love them.

While a lot has changed, I guess some things have remained the same. At one point tonight Danielle gave her quesadilla a nice, loud kiss. Why? "I was just giving it a welcome-to-my-stomach kiss, mom." Another time, as I was talking to Tyler, he shoved the last, oversized bite of his burrito into his mouth. His cheeks were puffed out, he had sour cream all over his mouth, and he was trying desperately to hold it all in while Danielle laughed and pointed. Without thinking I told him he was acting like an animal. He finished his bite, smiled, and said, "Really? What kind?"

No comments: