Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Politics According to a First Grader

I volunteered in Tyler's class today. This was my conversation with one of his classmates:

Boy: We watched Barack take the new job today and that other guy got fired.

Me: Oh, you watched the inauguration? President Bush didn’t get fired, his job ended. He served all the years he was allowed.

Boy: Oh. Will Barack’s job end too?

Me: Yes. He’ll work 4 years and then we’ll get to vote again. He’ll either get to work as president another 4 years or we’ll vote for someone else.

Boy: Well, if that old white guy is trying again, I’m always going to vote for Barack!

2 comments:

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Interesting that he's on a first name basis with the president :)

Lori said...

Funny you would mention that. I noticed it, too. I thought it seemed a little disrespectful, but I've noticed a lot of people have been calling our new president by his first name (rather than his title) throughout the election process.